Tuesday, March 25, 2008

carrying the load.

Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted. Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. If anyone thinks he is something when he is nothing, he deceives himself. Each one should test his own actions. Then he can take pride in himself, without comparing himself to somebody else, for each one should carry his own load. Anyone who receives instruction in the word must share all good things with his instructor. Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Galatians 6:1-10)

This verse perplexes me. What does it all mean? I'm struggling right now with what it means to "carry each other's burdens." I feel very weighed down right now. Naturally, I love to listen to others. I love to point them towards Truth, to share what God has done in my life and encourage others to pursue Him. The problem is, I also absorb those problems. I carry them on my own shoulders, and often feel like I am carrying that person. I don't know how to release them to the Lord. I think accountability is good; i think we should be sharing with each other and, as it says above, be willing to gently encourage one another back towards living a life in pursuit of Christ. But I also think that sometimes, we can view one another as the Holy Spirit, which is where it gets into trouble. Too often, I rely on the voice of others instead of the One who really knows what I should do. I don't want to listen/give advice to the point that others see me as a replacement for the Holy Spirit...not that they would knowingly/consciously do that, but I think it happens. I've totally done that with others.

Anyway, back to the original question - what does it meant to carry each others burdens but also carry our own load? I feel like lately i've received loads of advice relating to this, and its not biblical. Most people, even Christians, tell me to consider my own feelings and what I can handle. What the heck. That seems really far from scripture.  I mean, we should consider others better than ourselves, looking to Christ Jesus, who humbled Himself to death for our sake (Philippians 2).  So, as a Christian, how can I biblically say that I should consider my own feelings?  Now, there is a difference between following the Spirit and it causes someone to be hurt.  Jesus says our love for our families should look like hate in comparison to our love for Christ.   But there is a difference between the two.  

I don't know what this is even about, or if it even has a point.  i'm not sure why i choose to process on the internet.  Ha.

Goodnight. 

No comments: