Tuesday, January 8, 2008

fix your eyes.

Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. For consider Him who has endured such hostility by sinners against Himself, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. (Hebrews 12:1-3)

this is my prayer. it has been, but it still is. i was reminded of how powerful this verse is. i mean, granted, all scripture has power b/c its all God-breathed. but when i have truly tried to even grasp fixing my eyes on Jesus, the world looked different. its funny, there was a time not too long ago where I wanted to want Christ. But now...I truly want Him. I want Jesus.

And then life gets in the way. People, circumstances...they distract me. Those things are not sinful. People are a blessing; things that happen in life can be a blessing. Its what I DO with them that becomes sin. When I choose those things over spending time with my Creator, when I focus on my circumstances instead of His character...therein lies the problem. The solution?

Fixing my gaze upon my savior.

Mmmm. Thats so good. I just love how God is so faithful, how He speaks so clearly in His word. I am blessed, despite whatever is going on in my life, because God is His infinte mercy has so graciously bestowed His love, and rescued me from despair, darkness, and life w/o Him. And not only me, but all His children. Simply amazing.

Also, and please hold me to this, I don't want to use the word awesome or amazing anymore unless I'm talking about God. Words have lost their meaning. Awesome suggests something that inspires awe in me. I only want God to inspire true awe in me. I can have a deep appreciation for other things, but...awe? Just something that blows my mind? That should only be reserved for God.

3 comments:

maloneybaloney said...

MmMmMmm... so good.

God's word is... ahhh refreshing...

when surrounded by so many people talking about so many different things, somebody talks about God's word... mmm.

Laura Gregg said...

it's interesting though because God's spirit lives in his followers so can we maybe have awe for other things? I honestly in my own opinion think maybe we can. I think it's understanding the response that comes with things. God has made himself known in many ways including in humanity. he says that. It's absolutely breathe taking when I see someone serve another person. I see hope, I see God, I see proof.

Does that make since? Just up for discussion not disagreeing with what you are saying. I love you.

maloneybaloney said...

I think maybe lindsey is saying that she uses that word to talk about things that are not really showing her God... like a cd, or a movie, or a type of food, things that maybe when she uses that word to describe them, she is not thinking about God...